Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Another trip to the ER for Bug...



Well, we made another trip to the Instacare for ChanleyBug yesterday, and yet again it ended with getting his head stapled. This poor kid is only six and has had now 18 staples in his head, from a couple different occasions, several stitch-ups and lots of cuts and bruises. Somehow they all end up on his face or head.
I was outside pulling our wonderful yard full of stinkin weeds, yuck! When about 5:30 Chan started screaming bloody murder, so I lift my head to see what happened. Chayden was standing on top of the trampoline and had just thrown a vinyl fence post to the ground because he had just whacked Chan in the head with it. If you have ever seen a head wound then you know that they bleed a TON! There was blood everywhere. I jump up and take him inside to get a towel to see how bad it actually was. Well, of course Chan sees the blood and totally freaks out and wants to see it now.....tell me how you look at your own head???? I finally get it where I can see the battle wound and it is pretty bad. It went clear to the skull and is about an inch or so long. There are some skids on it as well where it kinda snagged his skin for about another two inches, which includes a huge goose egg. Jeff had just left about 30 minutes before to fix something for someone at their house. I called him and said you need to come home right now because I need to take Chan to the ER. When he got home he saw it and said "Yep, you better take him in." Fortunately he had finished up that little job he was at. I take Chan in to the Instacare and there was one other person that got there at the same time we did, and other than that there was nobody else there. We waited long enough for Chan to look at the picture I just took of his head. Of course when we get in to start the process, everyone asks what happened, and Chan is not shy to tell them that his four year old brother had "Cracked his head open with a fence post." You can imagine the look on everyone's faces by his response. They all have to ask again how old his brother was and cannot believe that a four year old could this sort of damage. He got a little frog to help him thru the process, which he was very happy to receive. When they started stapling his head I offered him my hand to squeeze and oh my goodness, I thought I would have to pull my hand back because that is exactly what he did with it. He can squeeze hard by the way!! The first staple the doctor asked if he could feel and he said "nope", the second he said that one "kind of felt like tiny little pinches", the third one said "kind of hurt", and the fourth one the Doctor said that's it your done, and Chan said "I didn't even cry." He was soo brave and tough. He was proud of himself for not crying. He cried the whole way to the Instacare from the anxiety. He did not want staples. Everyone there told him what a tough guy he had been. The doctor went and got him an airplane for being so good! He was pretty excited about that. Before we even left the house he asked if he would get an airplane from them because he remembered he got one before and liked it. You will have to look at his get up on the photos. He was wearing his Spiderman costume and I told him to get his shoes on so he put his all-time favorite cowboy boots on. He looked fabulous! It was quite funny! But it also made him feel tough so it was ok.
On the way home I had to stop because he couldn't wait!!!! He had to go potty so bad he said. But, of course he couldn't tell me before we left the Instacare. We stopped at the gas station for him which then has to turn into wanting a treat for being so tough. He chooses milk duds and strawberry milkshake. When we check-out he has to tell the cashiers what happened. He is quite the kid.
When we made it home only an hour and a half after we left, Chayden had put himself to sleep in his bed. I hadn't said too much to him before I left, and Jeff said he talked to him a bit but not too much. It was enough torture for him to know we had to take Chan to the ER that I didn't feel the need for further punishment. After he woke up he started bawling when he saw Chan's head. We finally get the whole story out of them both. Chan had actually hit Chayden in the head first with a push toy of Charger's that was only plastic, but he had started it. So, Chayden was just getting revenge. Little did he know to what extent.
Anyway, everything works out for the best and self-torture turned out to be enough punishment for the both of them.

3 comments:

Kellee and Courtney said...

Sweet story. I am just glad We don't get to go to the emergency room as often as you guys. Chanley is becoming a pro. In no time he will be able to go by himself.

Lori said...

I love it when brothers retaliate (my spelling is awsome!) it always has to be big! Like its a rule or something. Wow I can't believe Chanley is so stikin' tough I think I would have been balling at staple #1. Glad he is alright.

Kellee and Courtney said...

Isn't it funny how as they get older they get better with the self governing. You didn't even have to do much punishing--they seemed to feel bad on their own. I am glad that Chanley was so tough. For some reason that always makes them pretty happy (and a treat never hurt either). Hopefully that will be the last of the ER visits for a while.

To sum up our story:

Jeff and I got married on August 14, 1998. We have four beautiful boys and a sweet little girl. We have been married for 13 years. We run a business in Utah called Sprockets. It is a full service ATV shop. It has been Jeff's dream to do since he was a kid (not mine!! ; )) But we keep very busy at it and are glad for the support from the community. This is a great place to live.